Yeni Cuma Mosque

Yeni Cuma Mosque


Yeni Cuma Mosque

It was dedicated to Saint Eugenios, the savior and protector saint of Trabzon. It is unknown when the first church was built. Researches tell that the first structure was a basilica. An inscription from 1291 was also found here. The existing structure was probably built in the 14th century in a cruciform plan. It has currently no narthex but has three naves and three apses. The middle apse is round on the inside, pentagonal on the outside. The others are horseshoe on the inside, round on the outside. The center dome stands on two cross-shaped arches on the east, and two round Doric columns on the west with pendants. Side naves are covered in vault. There are remnants of frescoes and floor mosaics in this structure. There are also eagle and pigeon reliefs outside the middle apse. The church was converted into a mosque after the conquest of Trabzon and a northern entrance and a minaret were added to the structure. Another entrance was built through the large apse. The stone mihrab is of baroque style and the mimbar (pulpit) is wooden with no ornamentation. The mahfil features fine woodworking. In addition, the mosque has precious hand-drawn decorations inside. Pendant inscriptions are the work of the well-known calligrapher Hafız Hasan Rıfat. Writings and embroidery in the in-use areas have been restored.

0 reviews from our community

Very Poor

Be the first to write a review

Download our app

General sponsors



Implementation of the BSSRC project in Armenia and development of the BSSRC web portal and mobile applications were co-funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) Enterprise Development and Market Competitiveness (EDMC) project. The contents of the web portal and mobile applications are the sole responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of USAID or the United States Government.

The Honorary Consul for Italy in Gyumri


Armenian Travel Bureau




Login using social accounts